Real Life Reparations

The idea of reparations isn’t just an abstract or academic one, and this earthy tangibility makes it hard for a lot of people like me, who are taught to worship at the altar of the academic, to fully understand the idea. It's a lot easier to bury our discomfort safely in academic discourse than it is to write a check. It is helpful to read up on the topic to add intellectual support to the idea, and you can do so here: (https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/06/the-case-for-reparations/361631/). At the end of the day, reparations only became a personal and practical philosophy after I firmly connected my own privileges and life to the many benefits I’ve reaped from my debt-free education.



I not only graduated from university debt-free but also from a graduate program, which is the equivalent of 6 years of schooling and hundreds of credits. Because I was debt-free after graduation, I was able to 1. Do AmeriCorps, 2. Do Peace Corps, 3. Work at a nonprofit, 4. Teach abroad for 2 years, 5. Apply for Fellowships, 6. Afford Rent, 7. Travel/go on vacation, 8. Work part-time for over two years, 9. Accept lower-paying jobs that are good for my resume, 10. Have time for volunteering, leisure, rest, 11. Form a savings. Being in possession of two degrees with no collateral student loan debt has opened up many doors, some more obvious than others.



I didn’t graduate debt-free due to any special effort of my own. Unlike many of my friends, I never worked full time during either of my programs; I had plenty of time to study and play. I graduated debt-free simply because of the very generous financial backing from my parents and grandparents. I was able to do everything I’ve done through intergenerational wealth. Similarily to many white people, I’ve been conditioned to extract and display my ‘specialness’ in all situations, and especially those that involve achievement. A step towards reparations is acknowledging the collective experience of many wealthy white folks and staying off the well-trodden bread-crumb-strewn path of specialness; it’s about admitting to the larger, systemic reasons that have led me to where I am today.



I am incredibly thankful for the education I’ve received and my debt-free existence. I can be both aware of this incredible gift and also aware of the profoundly unequal situation that has left many young people overburdened with student loan debt and often unable to pursue the education that they’d like to. As the recipient of a free education due to my class privilege and with little to no current financial burdens, a simple act of reparations is to pay it forward to individuals who hold student loan debt. I am currently part of a team working on a pilot reparations project that aims to pay back the collective loan debt held by about 10 black community organizers from Minneapolis and other cities across the country. My job is to find potential major donors, folks who can manage to contribute several thousand dollars or more. At this point in the journey, I’m seeing myself as a major donor, and am excited to be able to contribute about $5,000 towards the fund at some point this year. Although I’ll be in China, I’m going to attempt to remain as involved as possible with this project as it unfolds.



There’s a lot of opportunities to get involved in reparations movements; there are exciting projects happening all over the states. Please contact me if you are interested in learning more about the project I’m supporting or if you’d like to give any amount.



Resources:























Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts