Life Update, February 2021

 You might be wondering, with good reason, what I’m doing with my life these days. I became unemployed in the beginning of 2021, since Saint Paul College, along with many other community colleges, experienced a huge drop in enrollment. My department in particular (English for Academic Purposes) lost a huge amount of students, and so most of the adjunct teachers were left without classes. I had anticipated this going into winter break, and I’d already started thinking about how to make the next semester a meaningful time. 

I’m having a pretty hard time gauging how busy I actually am, but I do think that I’ve found a lot of meaningful ways to fill my time. I seem to be adding more things by the week(!), so I’m also trying to practice sensing what is enough (and my own ‘enoughness’). 

My friend Unny recently published a "Life Update" on his website. You can see it here. He inspired me to create a similar list as we are both currently unemployed and trying to keep track of the various projects in our life.


Justice/Organizing

  • Resource Generation MN: I am an active member of the RG chapter. I’m co-leading the base building team, point-person for a local reparations project called Stolen Wealth Returns, and part of an indigenous solidarity and internal praxis team. 

  • The Movement to Stop Line 3

  • Weekly Sustainable Activism Pod: I meet with a small group weekly to nurture support, accountability, and joy around activism. We have been meeting since the uprising. 

  • Co-leading a local meditation retreat for activists 

  • Intermittently volunteering for the Minnesota Freedom Fund

    • Bail support

    • Paying immigrant bonds at ICE

  • Formal/informal learnings about our court system & political repression

  • Biweekly anti-racist teaching praxis 

  • Inter-sangha Buddhist Organizing, off-and-on since the election


Learning/Creativity

  • Giving Project (February-July 2021): I’m part of the newest cohort of the Giving Project, which is a multi-class and multi-racial 6-month cohort that focuses on moving money to BIPOC-led grass-roots orgs. I may be reaching out to you in the next 6 months to see if you’d like to support the fundraising efforts:) 

  • Graduate English classes at Mankato State: I’m slowly working towards an MA in English so that I can eventually expand beyond ELL to teach composition and literature as well. I am taking Literary Theory and World lit this semester. 

  • Co-counseling: I’ve started learning about and practicing co-counseling

  • Intermittent drum lessons! Hoping to do this more regularly.

  • Free Association Writing Group: I attend this weekly writing meet-up whenever I can!  

  • Buddhist Book club: Love & Rage


Wellness

  • Frequent, scheduled walks/runs/phone calls with friends

  • Practicing digital minimalism as best as I can (I’m sorry if I don’t respond to your messages right away!)

  • Daily meditation practice and frequent attendee of Commonground Meditation Center’s programs

  • Half day, day, or multiple day meditation retreats (alone and with others)

  • Journaling and writing daily (Morning pages

  • Yoga, alone, and with friends

  • Weekly Sabbaths: On Fridays, I try to take a break from work, busyness, and technology

  • Cooking a lot!

  • Mediocre covers with my roommate band "TreeTree"


All in all, a few themes come up for me at this time. I’m really trying to focus on:


  1. Centering relationships

  2. How I do things rather than how many things (or what) I do


Also, always trying to find value in myself and others outside of any notions of productivity. 


Comments

  1. Thanks for the update, Ilse! I knew about a lot of this, and some of it is new to me. And this format and content looks really familiar!! (for those who haven't seen it, here's my Feb 2021 life update: https://unnypn.org/2021/01/23/life-updates-february-2021/)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Yes, I realized today that I very much copied your formatting after having read your blog.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts