Odds and Odds

It's one of my last days in China. Tonight, I spent time walking around campus at dusk, one of my favorite things to do. Here's a few of the landscapes that I walked through:



The lotus flowers are blossoming and I found this most perfect one:


I mostly like walking around at night because the older generation emerges at dusk and wows me with tai chi, stretching their legs against trees, belting opera, and dancing. I've said it before and I'll say it again: older folks are epic here.

Here's a really bad video from tonight of a huge gaggle of Chinese women dancercizing their way around the school track, and getting in everyone's way. It's fantastic.


On a related note, several days ago when I was climbing the school mountain (yep, there's a school mountain!) because I'm an old person, I ran into a lot of other old people and finally caught some solo opera-singing on video. Please note the stretching as well:


It was a good day for reminiscing. In addition to my tranquil walk at dusk, I also spent the earlier part of my day wandering around the exploded shopping mall that is Wuhan. I naturally came across a statue of a gigantic, buxom woman fashioned to look like a cross between a tomato and a flamenco dancer, from what I can tell. It was strange and uncomfortable and I liked it.


This was on my way to the Buddhist temple restaurant to meet my friend Dingding and gorge myself for the last time on a variety of delicious tofu dishes.


I finished classes several weeks ago and have been spending my time grading and then traveling to Beijing for my last presentation. It feels great to be done! Now all I have to do is pack and some other boring stuff. Here's the last day for my American culture class; students are looking at each others' final poster projects:




Here's us all together:


I thought this class was generally unimpressed with me so I was naturally surprised when they ended up making me a home-made video and notebook telling me how much they loved me on the last day. Just goes to show: I know nothing.

I'll miss all of my students. They have made my time in China a total delight.

But, I'm really excited to get home and see all of you. My roommates are excited too. Here they are, hamming it up:










Comments

Popular Posts