General confusion.

I'm off soon to confuse young ugandan girls at a maths and science camp, but before I'm here to rattle off a few mundane things for the internet and its visitors to chew and choke on.  First, a list of my neighbor's names here in Uganda, beginning with the largest family member and ending with the most diminutive:

Eriku
Maisa
Robina
Consulate
Steven
Flavia
Flower
Crispus

Per usual, I don't really have a point to make with this list of names, and I can't pretend that what follows will have anything to do with it.  So with that in mind, lets look at my blog as a series of awkward and sudden billboards that you drive by on the highway, that lead one into an increased state of bewilderment and discomfort. Sort of like found poetry, but less poetic.  

Haha!  Those names are funny! Especially Crispus!  And also Consulate!


And without preamble or transition, I now assault you with my next strange, and entirely unrelated topic:

 I am somehow and inexplicably selected as one of the 25 best female football players in Arua after a weekend tournament, and am now officially in the running to be on the Ugandan Women's Team, and play against other countries.  I'm supposed to go to Jinja to try out with the other women selected all over the country.  But, despite living here for 1.5 years, I'm fairly sure that I'm still technically not Ugandan...and I can prove it!  Also, I don't think my body and especially not my knees, can handle anything else after this weekend.  I was mentioned on the local radio station, apparently in an outburst of astonishment, something about how a "mundu girl from Adumi could somehow play football well."  As if it wasn't strange enough that I am a woman who enjoys playing football...I'm also a mundu!!  Then, in a game a week ago to determine the best women players from Adumi, I was physically assaulted by a local woman, probably after pulling a sweet move (they call it "dodging") and making her whiff the ball.  Luckily, my irish temper didn't get the best of me this time!  Turns out that the difference between playing soccer here and playing soccer in Minnesota can be fairly compared to the differences between transportation here and back at home.  You know, at home you get less of the "hit every pedestrian you see!" and "go faster than every creature/object/element in the world!" sentiment than you do here.  So, it's kind of terrifying.  Mmmmmm....soccer.

....AND I WANT TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL.  School is SO much fun.  So, I'm going into a search, dream, and conquer frenzy, which is difficult when you are using internet as slow as molasses. I'm thinking about getting a masters in creative writing, otherwise known as an MFA.  But, if you ask me next week, I'll probably be looking up the benefits of becoming a Dolphin trainer, or something. 


Okay, bye!  

Comments

  1. So, Robina - that is a boy girl named Robin but with an 'a' added to emphasize femininity? Ha, well done. Also, way to represent the Female Footballers of the West Nile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weird, girls don't play sports, do they? At least not well.... ;)

    Totally into you going back to school - you would be fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts